Florence is, along with Venice and Rome, one of the 3 most visited cities in Italy. Millions of tourists come to Florence every year and the number is growing. In summer the city almost bursts, all hotels are full. Florence has some absolute top sights. One of them is certainly the cathedral with its gigantic, grandiose dome, one of the top 10 churches in the world. But also for example the world-famous bridge Ponte Vecchio and the two art museums Uffizi and Accademia have to be seen.
If you only have 1-4 days in Florence, you should think about what you want to see. Since the queues are extremely long, you should buy tickets for some attractions on the Internet before you visit. We recommend buying tickets at the great English-language website Getyourguide.com.
In the following now a TOP-10-list of the sights in Florence. Such lists are of course always somewhat controversial. These are the top 10 sights of Florence from our point of view:
|List Top 10 Sights Florence|
|Name Place of interest||location||Admission and Tickets|
|1. Cathedral of Florence||
|With tour to the famous dome about 45 Euro, tickets and more information|
|On the Internet without queuing about 20 Euro, ticket and more information|
|3. Accademia Museum||
|On the Internet without queues about 16 Euro, ticket and more information|
|4. Ponte Vecchio||
|Public bridge, no ticket required|
|5. Palazzo Vecchio||
|On the Internet without queuing about 19 to 25 euros, ticket and more information|
|6. Palazzo Pitti||
about 20 min on foot
|On site about 13 Euro|
|7. Cathedral Museum||
|Only with a full ticket for the church|
|8. Basilica Santa Croce||
near city centre
|On site 8 Euro|
|9. Mercato Centrale||
|Public market, freely accessible|
|10. Michelangelo Square||
about 30 min walk
|Public square, freely accessible|
New: eSIM for travelers – Fast and cheap online with your cell phone in Italy
In the past you had to buy a sim card after your arrival in Italy to go online with your cell phone. These times are over. You can buy a new eSim beforehand on the Internet. Cheap packages for day, week and month with many gigabytes.
>>>>> More info and booking
Brief description of the major sights of Florence
1. Florence Cathedral: The cathedral is one of the top 10 sights in Italy. One of the largest churches in the world with many highlights inside and out. Absolutely worth seeing is the gigantic dome (15th century). At that time, the construction of such a dome was not technically possible, but it succeeded nevertheless. A top 10 sight of Italy. Tickets and more information
2. Uffizi: One of the top 10 art museums in the world. The huge collection (especially Renaissance) includes works by Michelangelo, Raphael and Leonardo da Vinci. The museum is also among the top 10 sights of Italy. Ticket and more information
3. Accademia: Also a magnificent art museum with the most famous statue in the world, the David of Michelangelo. Ticket and more information
4. Ponte Vecchio Florence: World famous bridge with shops over the river Arno and great views.
5. Palazzo Vecchio Florence: For centuries the seat of the government and town hall. Great rooms and pictures inside, also very popular is the ascent of the Arnolfo Tower with a great view over the city. Tickets and more information
6. Palazzo Pitti Florence: On the other side of the river Arno, just outside the city centre. Today there are several important museums in the palace. The gardens are also world famous.
7. Florence Cathedral Museum: Next to Florence Cathedral Museum. To here many works of art have been removed from the cathedral, models of the dome and much more.
8. Santa Croce Florence: The second most important church in Florence after the Cathedral. Especially the tombs of Michelangelo, Galileo Galilei and Dante in the Basilica are an absolute sight-highlight.
9. Mercato Centrale Florence: great, genuine Italian markez for groceries in the basement, upstairs restaurants etc.
10. Michelangelo Square Florence: Viewpoint over the city of Florence on the other side of the river Arno. Here you can take the best photos of Florence.
Admission Prices and Tickets Top 10 Sights Florence
Florence isn’t exactly cheap. Even tickets to the top 10 sights tear a hole in the holiday budget. If you want to visit all the big sights of Florence, including the dome of the cathedral, you get rid of approximately 100 euros per person. But it is worth it. If one has already paid the expensive trip to the capital of the Tuscany, you should also have a look at the important attractions. Many things you will remember for the rest of your life. If you want to have a look at all 10 top 10 sights, you should plan at least 4 days in Florence, one whole day of it just for the cathedral.</align=”center”>
1. Cathedral of Florence: You can see the cathedral itself, the Baptistery and the krypta and climb the church tower. There is a ticket for about 15 euros. However, we recommend a visit to the world-famous dome. This is only possible in a guided tour that should be booked with date and time on this website in advance
2. Uffizi Museum Florence: Very long queues at the entrance, often several hundred meters long. But for a few euros more you can buy a ticket without queuing on the internet for about 20 euros. Absolutely recommendable, waiting in line for several hours on a valuable holiday day makes no sense. Here you can find on this link the tickets for the Uffizi on the internet.
3. Accademia Museum Florence: Similar to the Uffizi, very long queues at the ticket counter. It is much better to buy tickets in advance on the Internet for about 16 euros than queuing. On this page you can buy tickets for the Accademia Museum.
4. Ponte Vecchio Florence: Public bridge, no entrance fee or ticket, open 24 hours.
5. Palazzo Vecchio Florence: Even at the Old Palace the queues are often long, especially in summer. Also here we recommend the purchase of the tickets before with Getyourguide for 19 euro or 25 euro inclusive tower climbing.
6. Palazzo Pitti Florence: Here the queues are usually not so long, you can buy the tickets at the palace. A ticket for all museums in the palace costs approximately 13 euros. Guided tours are also great, you should book them on this website in advance.
7. Cathedral Museum Florence: See above at 1. Cathedral. Only ticket for the whole cathedral for about 15 Euro including the museum and much more.
8. Basilica Santa Croce: Tickets for the interior of the church are available st the church for 8 euros.
9. Mercato Centrale: Public market, top 10 attraction in Florence without admission. Open every day (limited on Sundays)
10. Michelangelo Square: Public square, no entrance fee.
See also: Top 10 Sights in Venice